Recognition is not only a big confidence and self-esteem booster, it’s also a big motivation driver that can lead to bigger results. Sure, we all look like professional, mature pros on the outside, but inside we’re still that 2nd grader hoping to get a gold star on our homework so our Mom will proudly display our achievement on the refrigerator. Human beings all need to feel valued and appreciated, which leads to happiness. The more specific and sincere, the better. So, instead of saying, “Great job Holly!” You might want to say, “Everyone is still talking about your Facebook post with that awesome graphic that generated 25 comments!” You get the idea.
Here are 10 Inspiring Ways to Let Your Team Know They ROCK!
- Give them a shout out in your Facebook group, send a tweet or tag them on Instagram using a fun graphic.
- Recognize your achievers on a teleconference, webinar or Google Hangout. Google Hangout has a fun applause feature that I love to use. It sounds like they are getting a standing-O!
- Ask your key people to speak and share their expertise: Asking someone to share their knowledge is one of the highest forms of recognition. Let them be the star of the show.
- Send a postcard: This may seem old school, but hey, what’s old is new. Getting a handwritten note in the mail is so rare, it makes a statement. And, the receiver can put it on their refrigerator to let their family know they got a ‘gold star’. They’ll probably even take a picture of your note and post it on Facebook to let their friends know they’re awesome.
- Send a sticker, ribbon or balloon in the mail: Imagine getting a big square box delivered and a balloon with a big yellow star on it floats out. How cool is that? Don’t forget the personal note. Stickers and ribbons have the same effect.
- Text a Congrats via the Red Stamp app: Red Stamp is an awesome app to make custom cards (invites, thank yous, happy birthday, congrats, etc.) that you send via text. You basically use their graphics, or upload your own, add text and save it as a picture. For iOS and Android.
- Send out a group email: Recognize your team and encourage everyone to add their congrats with a weekly or monthly ‘Go Team!’ email.
- Bring your star players on stage at a live event: On stage recognition is very powerful, and will leave your team feeling like they can conquer the world. And, it’s the closest many of us will ever get to our Miss America moment. If you’re recognizing a big group, try a recognition parade across the stage and include a parade-worthy theme song to get the party started. You might even try one of these!
- Celebrate with a top producer breakfast or happy hour: One-on-one time with you is priceless. Use your power-wow as an opportunity to build deeper relationships and mentor your super star. Combine tip #1 and take pictures to post on social media. Tag away!
- Award a certificate for a mani, pedi or both! Who doesn’t love a relaxing spa treatment for a job well done? Bring the team along, add some bubbly and combine #8 and #1 for a recognition home run. You might get an award for this one!
If you liked this article please share it, tag me or send me a note. Better yet, let’s meet for a mani/pedi. I need recognition, too!
Lynn Bardowski is an award-winning entrepreneur and bestselling author of Success Secrets of a Million Dollar Party Girl. She speaks to global audiences about work-at-home success, vision and branding and is a resource for press, media and bloggers. Like her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter and subscribe to her YouTube channel. Learn more about her VIP Group: The Visionista Connection.