Lack of confidence and fear of failure are frequently cited as the two biggest barriers holding women entrepreneurs back. I decided to do my own unscientific research study, using my Facebook business page to take a poll. I asked women to weigh in on the confidence vs. fear of failure discussion. Confidence “won”, hands down. Can it be that simple? Could focusing our efforts on building women’s confidence lead to more funding, better networks, resources, small biz growth and ultimately, success? I’m hoping to be part of the solution by sharing my top tips to be a more confident woman on an episode of LynnTV. If the video gets more views than cats and babies on YouTube, we might be onto something! Watch the episode below and read on to learn 5 game-changing tips to be a more confident woman entrepreneur.
- Change your words. Phrases like “I’ll try”, “We’ll See” and “I Hope” derail your confidence and belief, becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fake it ’til you make it by using three confidence-building power phrases: I Can. I Am. I Will.
- Connect with your girl tribe: Every woman needs a posse of girlfriends that provide support and encouragement. Stay away from the Debbie Doubters, who will constantly take the air out of your idea balloon, and hang out with women that build each other up.
- Take a class: Learning expands your mind and builds your self-esteem, confidence and connections. From photography to learning a new language to cooking, creative writing, music and wine-tasting, you’re one Google search away from becoming a more confident you.
- Make a difference: Community service builds confidence and fulfillment, while giving your life purpose. Volunteer at a local soup kitchen, get involved in your children’s school, participate in a 5K walk or help out a friend in need.
- Make a list: Women have a way of focusing on our faults and failures, instead of our triumphs. Grab a piece of paper (or two) and make a list of every awesome achievement in your life. Include every ribbon, award, milestone and impact your life has made on another human being. Yeah, you did all that! Leave “The List” close by so you can remind yourself how awesome you are.
Lynn Bardowski is an award-winning entrepreneur, radio host and best selling author of Success Secrets of a Million Dollar Party Girl. She speaks to global audiences about entrepreneurship, vision and branding and is a resource for press, media and bloggers. Like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.